Summer Wedding Themes
Summer weddings are full of sunshine, liveliness and warmth. It is the most popular season to get married mainly because of the weather. The backdrop provided by Mother Nature renders other decorations regardless. However, as it is the vacation time, you need to book the vendors beforehand. The honeymoon arrangements should be made well in advance as there is a rush of the tourists to the various destinations ideal for honeymoon. Besides, the vendors such as the caterers, bakers, florists, etc are overbooked as more and more people decide to go for a summer wedding.
When we think of a summer wedding theme, the only themes that comes to our mind are beach wedding theme or a garden wedding theme. However, there are various other color-based, flower-based and season-based themes, which can be incorporated into your wedding ceremony. Some of the popular summer wedding themes are:
- Butterfly Theme - The colors for this theme are purple, red, blue; basically any bright color. The wedding cake can be baked in these colors and adorned with edible butterflies cascading down the cake or placed delicately on each layer. The invitations can be in the shape of the butterflies and the place cards can be adorned with cute little butterflies. You can decorate the venue with flowers and butterflies on them.
Birds and Bees Theme - Place trees, plants and branches at certain places and place miniature birds on them. You can have fake honeycombs as wall decorations. Adorn the wedding cake with a bee topper and place the fake birds as centerpieces. Invitations can be in the shape of a bird nest or a honeycomb or you can simply adorn them with an animated bee and a smile on her face.
- Backyard Barbecue Theme - Decorate the venue with the string lights, candles and vases. Shape the invitations as a chef hat or a barbecue appliance. Keep at least two to three sets of apparatus so that the guests can help themselves. Use flowers, streamers and other decorative articles depicting the barbecue and the backyard theme.
- Fairytale Wedding Theme - Usually for this theme, a castle or a mountainside inn will be an ideal location. Dress the bridal party like the popular characters in your favorite fairytale. Choose your favorite princess and go for her story. You can choose Snow White and dress the guests as the seven dwarfs, the wicked step-mother, the trees, the rabbits who helped her find her way and so on. If you choose Cinderella, dress the guests as the wicked step-mother and step-sisters, her animal friends, her rats and the fairy Godmother. Decorate the venue accordingly and design the menu for the same.
- Daisy / Rose / Calla Lily Theme - Choose any one of these or all three and decorate the venue in these colors only. The red, yellow and white calla lilies, multi-colored roses and serene white daisies provide a range of decorations for a formal yet bright wedding affair. Use centerpieces, hanging decorations, wall decorations and colors according to these flowers.
- Ladybug - A bit unusual but good theme. Adorn the invitations with little ladybugs. Make the place cards in the shape and color of the ladybug. You can also have a ladybug brooch for the bridesmaids dresses and get a red and black wedding cake with little ladybugs placed strategically on each tier.
You can mix these themes with one another and use two or more to celebrate your wedding. While deciding the theme for a summer wedding, make sure you consider the color palette for the summer season. The main colors that depict the summer season are yellow, lime green, bright blue, white, orange, bright pink, and fiery red. You can pick a combination of two to three colors so as to decorate the venue in a summer wedding theme.
Flowers are an integral part of any wedding. The flowers available in the summer season are as follows:
- Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella)
- Gerber Daisies
- Calla Lilies (Yellow And Red)
There are endless possibilities when it comes to the decorations for a summer themed wedding. You don't have to go out of the way for decorating the venue. For a garden or tea party theme, you can rely on the natural decorations to add the necessary charm to your wedding ceremony. For these themes, the decorations will be in the pastel colors. These themes are similar to the Victorian elegance theme when it comes to colors and decorations. The event will take place in the afternoon and it will be a formal affair. For a backyard barbecue theme, use decorations which equal the camping atmosphere. The camouflaging colors such as gray, green and brown are ideal for this theme, this event usually takes place in the evening until the wee hours of morning.
For a beach-themed wedding, the location plays an important role. The ideal location for a beach-themed wedding is a beach (!); and erecting a dais and making seating arrangements for guests is an important part of a beach-themed wedding.
The invitations for a summer wedding depend upon the theme of the wedding. However, generally these invitations can be in the shape of a flower, butterfly, bottled invitations, scrolls and embellished with seashells and sand etc. Anything that represents the energy of the summer season can be incorporated in a summer wedding.